Share

Monday 2 January 2012

The Answer

As I promised in my last post, the ridge site where we were flying was "Westbury".

I do not have any photos and my log book notes show that I was airborne for 1 hour and eight minutes, and it was very rough air. Most of the time my altitude was about 200 ft above the hill top and I needed 300 ft to turn in for my landing.

There was a bit of curl over as one went in for landing, but all flights went well. Thanks again John Willi for another great flying experience.

The date was 9th December 1962.

2 comments:

  1. 2 other ridges used by Moonrakers were Huish (just south of Marlborough) and Inkpen.

    With an extended winch launch from base it was possible to reach Huish and it was quite commonly used for Silver "C" duration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I flew over to Huish from upavon in the Grunau baby, from a 2,200ft launch. Stopped going up when the cable was too heavy. Turned toward the hill but could not see it at first. Later that day someone parked the Graunau on the side of the hill when coming in to land. ...

      Delete